Tuesday 10 March 2015

Of Not Yous


...So one fine night, I asked her something.
"Have you ever had an instance in your life that has changed you?" I said.
"No," she replied.
"Anything interesting or inspiring?" I pressed.
"No," she said again.
"Something?" I asked.
She kept quiet. Her eyes wandered momentarily, staring into the far horizon. The evening sunset gleamed in her eyes.
"Interesting," she mumbled. "My life has been way too interesting. I have been broken to pieces and have managed to glue it all together."
Her reply surprised me. For all these years I had known her, she had never been like this - so lost. She had always been the bubbly teenager who knew what to speak and when; how to dress right and for what; how to live life and for whom. She was this tiny quantum of energy and never before had I heard her so ... defeated.
"You don't sound like you," I told her.
"Wow, that's new," she said. "Why?"
I shrugged.
"It's just that deep, dark, sad has never been you," I said.
She sighed. A ghost of a smile flickered on her face. A sad smile.
"If only someone asked," she said in a low whisper. I heard her, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment